WWII Finnish 9x19 "VPT"

Does red pa in these rounds indicate post WWII re-work? I read this post WWII 9x19 Luger ID. Also, my meager sample of WWII Finnish 9x19 ammo is all brass while WWII German is predominantly lacquered steel. Did Finland produce steel rounds too?

Hi Vlad - you are right on about the red primer seal. Occasionally, you can see one of these WW@-vintage cases with the red seal, still showing black or green underneath it. What it signifies is a non-corrosive primer, as opposed to the early black and later green seals, which were corrosive primers. The ammunition was converted in Finland prior (or perhaps even after) its sale to Interarms. A huge amount of it was sold in America. Our purchases alone at the S.F. Gun Exchange sent the sales rep for our area on a Interarms-paid vacation to England, as I recall. At one single time, we had over 250 cases of this in stock, 1,000 rounds to a case. We were selling it by the case. It was really good ammunition, but many years after it was sold, I acquired a box or two with a gun I bought from someone, and experienced some hangfires with it. Never had one single problem with that sold fairly contemporary to its remanufacture.

Finland did produce some steel-case 9 mm ammunition during WWII, but production must have been very, very low, as specimens are rarely found today, at least outside of Finland. I can’t speak for Finnish collections. I have the only specimen I had ever been offered, up until today, in my 50+ years of collecting 9 mm (and other pistol) ammunition. It is headstamped SO43 9., of Sako manufacture. The case is light grey overall, including in the extractor groove. It does not appear to have any finish, and I don’t think it is because of wear since the color is perfectly uniform, even in little corners. It has a brass primer cup, with a black primer seal. The bullet is GM (non-magnetic).

I have never seen a box label that I could identify as being for this steel-case ammo, and don’t know of any other headstamp, including other dates from Sako.

John Moss

1 Like

The Finnish boxes were also reused. I found a number of them with the Finnish military label underneath the Interarms label.

1 Like

Vlim - absolutely correct. Many, many of the boxes had labels underneath the Interarms label. I wish I had saved all the boxes from the rounds I shot of this ammo. I never thought, at the time, of taking off Interarms labels to see what was underneath, even though many of the over-labeled boxes obviously had an original label underneath.

John Moss

Here is one I liberated.

Interarms_9mm

1 Like

Vlim - great photo. Thanks. I think maybe I “Liberated” the same original label on one box!

John M.

Here you can see the label of the 2000 round wooden box:

2 Likes

Fede - I remember the lots we had were in 1000-round crates. Of course, my memory is not worth ten cents anymore. I don’t recall that particular labeling on what we received either, but again, it was a long time ago. I do remember that all of our purchases totaled thousands of rounds. Good shooting stuff when it was fresh!

John M.