WWII German ammunition

All the rounds are head stamped DWM, just like the other red boxes.

Its quite hard to make out the lettering on the stripperclip but the date 41 is visible. The cardbord box is marked “ggk 1944”

All but one of the DWM 7,65mm boxes is the same size but one, which is a smaler than the other ones and it was mismatched and had five rounds which is head stamped with the Gustloff Werke capital G.

I mainly collect Walther pistols but I would really like to get the Gustloff pistol but sadly they are pretty rare.

Balkslakk,
thank you very much for the side views of the DWM boxes. Very interesting.
Karlsruhe (in the state of Baden, south-west Germany) was the home of DWM ammunition production.
Berlin (its suburb of Borsigwalde named after the Borsig factory) was an additional factory erected during WW1.
BKIW was a name used in place of DWM after WW1 until it became DWM again in the thirties. .
“Nicorro” was the chlorate-free (but not mecury-free) primer mix developed by DWM. Later they licensed Sinoxid (also mercury-free) from competitor RWS.

I probably should take the wrap off - can’t remember what this DWM 1939 said on the base and the box was open

Some images from the 1939 DWM catalogue…

1 Like

Interesting DWM1939 label label Weimar. It looks like the label from a 4160 round case with the 4 and 0 blacked out and overstamped that the date and loading is unknown!!! These repack/relabel boxes are very interesting. Any idea what the ammo and headstamps are inside it?

Cheers,
Lew

Balkslakk,

I was making copies of some of your photos for my files and noticed that you have photos of the sides of 7 different 7.65mm DWM red and black boxes, of at least 3 different styles, but you only show the codes and box tops for 5 of them.

I assume the box tops are all the same. Could you please post the box codes for each in the same format as the photos, so I can relate the code to a particular box style. Earlier I suggested the codes like 9a141 and 3a43 were late style. Now I think they are perhaps DWM Berlin codes and the 073AV is a DWM Karlsruhe code. Would you also indicate which two boxes have the stamp on the front label?

Just list the codes in the order below
Box1
Box2 Box3
Box4 Box5
Box6 Box7

For example

Box1-073 A V
Box2-3a43 - overstamp
and so on.

You also pictured an all red box with DWM rounds.

Could you please provide images of the sides and back if there are markings and the date code if there is one. Also please indicate the headstamp if it is other than DWM K 479A K.

Many thanks! this will help me with research on the DWM date codes.

Cheers,
Lew

Sorry for taking so long, anyhow here are the codes:

All boxes contain the same rounds but these three

The all red box contains the same rounds as the others and is coded with the following code on the bottom of the box.

Great info, Many thanks!

Lew

Top of the site!! The 3 boxes with pistol ammo! the § behind
Pistolenmunition I think stands for PARABELLUM P08 Luger
or pistole 08
Sherryl

No sherryl,
the “Pistolenpatrone 08 §” simply means that these originally were of Polish cartridge components, because Poland used this cartridge also. “kam” ist the German code assigned to the Skarzysko Kamienna factory in Poland. Rifle cartridges made from Polish components also had this § identifier.
“9 mm Parabellum” is the commercial name, not used by the military. The German army called this cartridge “Pistolenpatrone 08”.
Other letters to identify origin were, for example, (t) for Czechoslovak (tschechoslowakisch) or (f) for French.

Mr Peelen!!
Thank you for reply! however things are not that simple. The original conception of the so called Luger pistol was
PISTOLE MOD 1908 (08) CAL 9mm Parabellum THE WORD PARABELLUM IN ITS TRANSLATION AND MEANING
MEANS (FOR WAR) and has little to do with the commercial site of it.The small P on that box was a double statement
that the ammo was not only loaded for PISTOLEN MUNITION 08 but also for the PARABELLUM.The reason for that
being was that ammo loaded for the 08 had a special powder charge in order to have the toggle work properly
for wich there was never a guarantee with other heinz57 9mm ammo.Yes of course KAM was the cover code for that
plant operating in Poland at that time.But the firm that hid behind that cover was the German HASAG EISEN und
METALLWERK GMBH.Believe me I have the age to know that in those days they would not put the word polish to
anything.Here is a translated note not quite relevant to this query,but of interest generally.
After 1918 they introduced the recognition of military cartridges by code it consisted of the letter ( P ) with a number to
follow.When they introduced in 1938 the 3 letter code,there were several producers that made guns as well as ammo
this 3 letter code was also adopted for ammunition.But throughout the entire war they also kept the P numbering
system.Many codes were found on German ammo wich they were not able so far to identify positively
Sherryl

I beg to differ. I own a polish Radom Vis made under german occupation which is clearly marked "P.35 § on the slide.

Balkslakk
Yes you are right as far as it goes,but that fine gun,as made before the war was given a
German designation of hand i do not know what it was but I think you may have said it Mod P35
But as you will know there are many products in this world from wich you cannot remove a name
no matter what you may try to do and in this case the name Radom is and will not perish when it
comes to the history of modern arms production in Poland or throughout the world and as you
should know there is always exception to any rule.You are to be envied to own that Radom
Sherryl

Sherryl, take a look at the boxes halfway in this tread:

Sherryl,
your sources seem to be not very reliable.
The German army dropped using the word “Modell” or M and a 4 figure year with the introduction of “Gewehr 88” twenty years earlier.
The army designation of the pistol was “Pistole 08”, not Model 1908 or anything else. The ammunition was “Pistolenpatrone 08”.
You will not find the word “Parabellum” in any official army document referring to Pistole 08 or its ammunition.