WWII German MG42 "cpg" links ID

These links contained 1943 “kam” 7.92x57’s when I got them. There seems nothing written on them. How to tell the country and production time frame? I “bathed” them in oil so they look shiny now.
I take it back, it says “cpg” on the starter tab.

It looks like German WWII vintage. Are you sure it’s not cpq - Rheinmetall-Borsig AG, Guben plant

“cpg” is shown as the code for Doll & Co., Spielwarenfabrik, Kirchenweg 13, Nürnberg, Germany.

SpielwarenFabrik…Toy factory…Nice toys.

Actually, a lot of Tinplate toy factories from before WW II were contracted to do thin metal stamping such as clips, steel belts, etc. All the production suitable for their stamping presses.

A Lot of these factories were formerly owned by Jewish families as well, but after 1933, the owners were gradually expropriated and the plants sold to “party faithful” and were kept running.

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

BTW, kam is a factory in Poland, Sy…Kamienna, ( can’t remember the Polish), formerly a supplier of the Polish Armed Forces. One of the few codes to use the original name in its coding.

(but you all knew that, I suppose???)

Doc et al - “kam” = HASAG Eisen und Metallwerke G.m.b.H., Werk Skarzysko-Kamienna. It was one of the Hugo Schneider A.-G. factories, hence “HASAG.”

It is a coincidence.

The same as the code “emp”. Plant Empelde from the Dynamit-A.G.

The frequency with which code letters for facilities in the German explosives trade represent place names is so great that it almost certainly was intentional and not random happenstance. I haven’t a list at hand but there are several more that could be cited. Jack

The name Doll & Co., Spielwarenfabrik, Kirchenweg 13, Nürnberg, Germany is for me a little confusing. The Jewish company Doll & Co was sold in 1938 to Fleischmann. I cannot explain why they used the name Doll & Co in WW2.

In the history from the company Gebr. Fleischmann is written; (Translated by google) -:)

Another landmark acquisition by the Fleischmann was in 1938. As part of the linearization had the well-known company Doll & Co., with which it maintained a friendly relationship, to give up their operation. This acquisition can be seen as initiating the pure model train manufacturer. Already 1938/39 Fleischmann began making small models of locomotives and passenger cars to the 0 gauge but the events of World War II stopped the development of model trains. To even get the material for the toy manufacturing, we produced military items such as warships or toy guns. When later on the production of non-war-related goods has been prohibited, had converted to military products such as sheet pans, gas mask container and cartridge belts.

The adress is still the same

Gebr. Fleischmann GmbH und Co. KG
Kirchenweg 13
D-90419 Nürnberg

If you read German;

nuernberginfos.de/traditions … enbahn.htm

Rgds
Dutch

The name actually appears as “Doll & Company” on the original code list as republished in that big book with the orange cover. Don’t feel like going downstairs right now to get the right title. That book is made from a photo-reproduction of the original typed code lists, but I don’t know off hand the issue date of the section that it appears in. As you know, the code lists were compiled and distributed in sections, as sufficient new codes were issued to justify the work of preparing them.

Other than that, I can’t explain it. My experience is that during the Third Reich era, the Germans were terribly inconsistent about just about everything they did. I have always considered the term “Deutsche Ordnung,” when applied to that period, as somewhat of a joke.

Yes John, we look at the same book. Doll & Co is written there.
But why did they write the old Jewish company name in the book

Maybe that was the name it was commonly know as, regardless of who owned or operated it. I can think of a few instances around here where a store or business is still referred to locally by it’s old name, Even though it has a new one or new owners. Confusing for someone new to town for sure…!

AKMS

My belt came in 2 pieces. Is there any EASY way to reconnect them? Does the end (photo #3) look “normal”, i.e. like the end is supposed to be? What kind of a cool machine installed those little spring-looking spirals which hold the links together, or it was done by hand?

Your belt should have a “tab” on one end of it and a “slot” on the other. Your belt has come apart a some point with the links becoming detached from one another.If you are patient, you can un-crimp one end of the spiral spring and un-screw the spring by twisting it. You can then line up the tabs (using the other links for a guide)and reverse the process, reattaching the belt sections together. You then can re-bend or crimp the spring end to keep it from coming out again. I have never seen the actual machine that originally put the links together but we patch broken or bent links quite often, as I am sure the Germans did. JH

PS: I forgot to add that your belt appears to be of the sixth variation type, with seven different types being known. That would make it a late production item.

Thanks, Jim. All done, the links are re-united after “don’t know” how many years. Actually, a very simple fix, easy to do, just like with a hard drive, once you install one, you remember for the rest of you life.