WWII Japanese human bomb-mine

I was at a gun show and there was a WWII photograph of a Japanese soldier holding an aerial bomb between his knees in a shallow pit. The caption said that it was an Indian photograph of a suicide mine in which a soldier would wait for a tank or other target go over him and then would detonate the bomb with a piece of metal. Anyone wishes to share more knowledge about it or any pictures?

It certainly could have been possible, but I am unaware of it.

I heard about this technique on a documentary on The History Channel, heresay or not, I don’t know; but if you have seen a picture…

A rather thankless gig, to be sure.

MY FATHER SERVED IN THE ARMY ORDNANCE CORPS IN THE PACIFIC THEATER DURING THE WAR. I HEARD HIM TELL HIS FATHER ABOUT THIS AND OTHER SUICIDAL THINGS THE JAPANESE SOLDIERS CAME UP WITH DURING THE WAR. THE MIND SET OF THE JAPANESE MILITARY WAS, “NEVER SURRENDER.” THEIR OFFICERS INSTRUCTED (ORDERED) THE COMMON SOLDIER TO KILL AS MANY ENEMY PERSONNEL AS POSSIBLE WHILE GIVING THEIR LIFE FOR THE EMPEROR.

NOW, AS FOR THE PHOTOGRAPH, I STRONGLY SUSPECT IT WAS A FABRICATED PHOTOGRAPH MADE AFTER THE FIGHTING WAS OVER. A POSED PICTURE TAKEN PERHAPS TO SERVE AS A RECORD OF THIS TYPE OF ACTIVITY BY THE JAPANESE. FOR THE GREATER PART OF THE WAR VERY FEW JAPANESE SOLDIERS AND EVEN FEWER OFFICERS WERE TAKEN AS PRISONERS OF WAR. THE JAPANESE ENCOURAGEMENT TO THE SOLDIERS TO GIVE THEIR LIFE FOR THE EMPEROR COUPLED WITH THE MARINE CORPS ATTITUDE OF, “KILL EM ALL AND LET GOD SORT EM OUT” DIDN’T RESULT IN MANY JAPANESE SOLDIERS LEFT ALIVE TO SURRENDER.