WWII shell on Budapest City Hall roof

To see the image, press right arrow to image 11.
huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/2 … =unearthed

I guess Budapest City Hall haven’t had any roofing work done in a while…

Here is the photo.

It looks to be a post 1945 British 2" Mortar illuminating round. I’d be very surprised if that’s actually what they found up there.

Probably a “stock photo” the paper pulled up from either their own file, or on line, to go with the article. Just like the TV news always has the same photo of a gun when discussing a shooting, regardless of if they had any idea what gun was involved.

I agree with John, at news entries in particular when related to ammunition they just show anything they have on hand as the contecxt of a message often is explicitely ecxluding what is shown in the accompanying image.
A tiny hint not to trust blindfold what ever is being told in the media!!!

BTW: In Germany it is almost normal to find all sort of artillery (mainly AA) projectiles on old roofs as thousands of duds “rained back” on the cities during air raids during WWII.

[quote=“EOD”]I agree with John, at news entries in particular when related to ammunition they just show anything they have on hand as the contecxt of a message often is explicitely ecxluding what is shown in the accompanying image.
A tiny hint not to trust blindfold what ever is being told in the media!!!

BTW: In Germany it is almost normal to find all sort of artillery (mainly AA) projectiles on old roofs as thousands of duds “rained back” on the cities during air raids during WWII.[/quote]Years ago I dug out a dud 20mm AP projectile from one of the roof beams above my then apartment. This is 4,5 kilometers north of Copenhagen centre. Very likely came from ‘Nürnberg’ as she was a regular in the ‘free port’ area during the occupation.
This was before I started collecting so I don’t have it anymore.
Soren