X-Ray of Cartridges

Just want to share this X-ray of a Flechette, Teat-fire, Cup-fire, Maynard, Thick rim, Squeeze bore, Eley needle fire, Pin-fire, Whitworth charger(?), Martini Henry, Spencer, Burnside and Indian Single ball

Thanks Pablo. What am I seeing at the base of the projectile on that Spencer cartridge? It looks like a wad or almost like a duplex projectile?

Sorry! I said Spencer, but it’s a .54 Ballard!
No, it’s not a wad or a duplex projectile - X-rays make the grooves in the projectiles look deeper, than they actually are.

Thanks Pablo

Very interesting!

Pablo, What type of x-ray did you use or have access to? Was it medical or manufacturing or what???

Great X-Ray. Thanks!

Cheers,
Lew

Lew,
It’s a hospital’s digital Kodak x-ray machine.
But I’m afraid I won’t have access to it any longer! At least not until I meet another cute X-ray technologist…
The lady that “illegally” took the x-rays, couldn’t delete it from the system after she helped me and won’t do it again!

Thanks pablo! I won’t be tempting any x-ray technicians, cute or not!
Lew

pablo

THE .54 BALLARD CARTRIDGE IS MISNAMED, IT IS ACTUALLY A VARIATION OF THE .52 SHARPS & HANKINS RIFLE CARTRIDGE. THE BULLET IN MOST, PERHAPS ALL, OF THESE CARTRIDGES HAS A LINEN PATCH. ALMOST ALWAYS YOU CAN SEE THE MARK LEFT BY THE CUTTING KNIFE RIGHT AT THE CASE MOUTH. SOMETIMES YOU CAN DETECT THIS PATCH ON AN X-RAY. THIS IS PERHAPS OF LITTLE INTEREST TO YOU BUT I THOUGHT I’D PASS ON THE INFORMATION ANYWAY.

GWM

No, this is definitely the .54 Ballard old model two-piece case. The edge of the folded rim is clearly visible. Case length is 1.209".
No grease grooves showing on the exposed portion of the bullet.

S&W patent wads and Elliot patent patched bullets were also used in the .54 Ballard. I’m not sure if what you see in this x-ray is a wad or part of the bullet? Any other opinions?

pablo
WHAT I STATED IN MY PREVIOUS POST IS NOT OPINION - IT IS FACT. THE .54 OLD MODEL BALLARD TWO-PIECE CASE IS A MYTH. ABOUT THIRTY YEARS AGO A COUPLE OF CARTRIDGE COLLECTORS, MYSELF AND JAMES SONES, AND A KNOWLEDGEABLE BALLARD RIFLE COLLECTOR, JOHN DUTCHER, WERE TALKING AT A SHOW AND JOHN INDICATED THAT HE NOR ANY OTHER BALLARD RIFLE COLLECTORS KNEW OF A BALLARD RIFLE THAT WOULD CHAMBER THE CARTRIDGE IN QUESTION. JOHN SAID HE HAD DISCOVERED THAT THE CARTRIDGE WOULD CHAMBER VERY NICELY IN A SHARPS AND HANKINS RIFLE. JIM SONES WHO WAS THE BEST PATENT RESEARCHER I’VE EVER KNOW INDICATED THAT HE HAD NOT DISCOVERED A PATENT THAT WOULD COVER THE SUPPOSED TWO-PIECE CASE. AS THIS TYPE OF RIMFIRE CONSTRUCTION WOULD HAVE BEEN NEW AT THE TIME SURELY THE INVENTOR WOULD HAVE OBTAINED A PATENT TO PROTECT THEIR INTEREST. IT WAS AGREED THAT AN INVESTIGATION HAD TO BE MADE INTO THIS MISNAMED CARTRIDGE.

THREE LOADED CARTRIDGES AND TWO FIRED CASES WERE OBTAINED FROM RANDOM SOURCES. ALL FIVE CARTRIDGES WERE X-RAYED BY IAN PATRICK WHO X-RAYED PARTS FOR SPACECRAFT TO LOCATE ANY UNSEEN FLAWS. THE RESULTS DID NOT SHOW ANY INDICATION THAT ANY OF THE FIVE CARTRIDGES HAD THE SUPPOSED TWO-PIECE CASE CONSTRUCTION. I THEN SECTIONED THE FIVE CARTRIDGES, STARTING WITH THE TWO FIRED CASES, BOTH OF THESE HAD THE NORMAL, FOR THE TIME PERIOD IN WHICH THEY WERE FABRICATED, ONE-PIECE CASES. I THEN SECTIONED THE THREE LOADED CARTRIDGES AND DISCOVERED THE SAME ONE-PIECE CASE CONSTRUCTION.

SIMPLE LOGIC HAD ALWAYS TOLD ME THAT IF THE CARTRIDGES HAD BEEN FABRICATED AS DESCRIBED BY THE OLD TIME DEALERS THAT THERE WOULD BE SERIOUS GAS LEAKAGE AT THE JUNCTURE OF THE CARTRIDGE BASE PIECE AND THE BODY. SIMPLE ENGINEERING HAD ALWAYS TOLD ME THAT FABRICATING A RIMFIRE CARTRIDGE FROM TWO SEPARATE PIECES OF MATERIAL WOULD HAVE GREATLY INCREASED TO COST OF FABRICATING THE CARTRIDGE. THEN ALSO THERE IS THE PROBLEM OF THE PRIMING COMPOUND AND GETTING ENOUGH INSIDE OF A SPACE WHICH HAS BEEN REDUCED IN SIZE.

SO WHAT IS GOING TO SELL BETTER? A ONE-PIECE CASE OR THE MORE EXOTIC SOUNDING TWO-PIECE CASE. ONCE THE DEALERS BACK IN THE FORTIES AND FIFTIES SAW HOW THE RIM/CASE BODY RADIUS WAS CRUDELY FORMED AND GAVE THE ILLUSION OF BEING TWO SEPARATE PIECES JOINED TOGETHER BY SWAGGING THEY HAD THEIR NEW HOT TICKET ITEM.

GWB,
Thank you for all the info! I really appreciate it!
I can understand why so many people believe that a two-piece case do exist! It really looks and even feels like a two-piece!
The top cartridge in the pictures is what was believed to be the .54 Ballard two-piece case and the bottom cartridge is the .52 Sharps & Hankins one-piece case

Here’s a better picture of the “two-piece case” (on the left)

You can clearly see the edge of the lower piece, or not???

[quote=“pablo”]

[/quote]

I know I am abit late on this topic, but I just wanted to say thank you for this x-ray Pablo! It’s very interesting!