ZERO Bullets

Something else I just discovered from the land of long ago. This box is still sealed, and there are no other markings on it. I know for sure it dates from the mid-late 1960s. Anyone know anything about Zero Bullet Co.? I know there is (or was) a commercial reloader called Zero somewhere in Alabama - any relationship? Should I keep or shoot them up (I’m not too fond of 130 grain .30 bullets for any purpose)?

Zero is a name I remember from before the handgun ban in UK for cast handgun bullets but I don’t think they came from the US. I think it is just a duplication of a fairly predictable name. They were sold by Henry Krank and I have a reference to them in an ad in 1994 Guns Review. I still deal with Henry Krank and I will give them a call if you wish.

Footnote - If you google zero bullets there is still a website. Current address not as label however.

I am aware of the Zero Bullet Co. in Alabama, and have fired some of their cartridges in .38 Special, and have a number of more current Zero empty cartridge boxes I use for my reloads. What I was wondering is if the .30 bullet box shown came from the same company (but now operating from another location) or if it was from a completely separate operation in Michigan. Personally, I think Zero is not the best possible name for any company. Their company motto was (is?) “Zero-in With Zero” as printed on their cartridge boxes, so maybe it’s not such a bad name.

Back during the time period mentioned (mid-late 1960s), I bought, as I remember, 4 such boxes of .30 caliber bullets, and this one is all that remains. I do not remember where I got them. They were very nice-looking JHP bullets. As I had not seen any others of like kind in a sealed box, I was hestiating as to whether I should use them or keep them as collectibles. If I shoot them, I will probably do so in my .30 Remington Model 81 or my .303 Savage lever action. A 125-130 grain spitzer-nose bullet is about the heaviest that can be loaded in those casings to the proper cartridge OAL without the bullet ogive tangent being below the case mouth.

By the way, that’s why the .35 Rem LeveRevolution case has a considerably shorter neck than standard, as it uses a spitzer bullet having a longer nose. I’m not sure about any of the other LeveRevolution bottleneck calibers, but they are probably also the same way

Dennis, this little piece of information may be of your interest (from 1966 dated magazine):

Thanks. The date is about right, I would have said in the 1967-68 period, as that was when I became a serious reloader, back when I was working for Hercules. I think I bought them from such an ad. I seem to remember I bought 400 bullets, this box being the only one remaining. I wish I could get bullets at that price now.