ZV. What type of ammo is this

Looks like a 7.62 x 45 Czech round for the “She” rifle (named for the manufacturer’s code that appears on them, and their later rifle, not a copy of but certainly similar in concept to the AK47/AKM.

These are found in both brass and steel cases, in a variety of headstamps.

John Moss

1 Like

Thanks, been wondering.

Chad Locklear
(678)446-5004

This would be for the vzor 52 rifle, I have never heard this “She” nickname before.
The vzor 58 was made for 7.62x39.

Ole

Tennsats - Since it is English, there would be no reason for it to be heard in Scandinavia much. Its a very common nickname for the vz. 52 people and derives from the German-style three letter code “she”, which in English just happens to be the feminine pronoun, of the manufacturer that is stamped on these rifles.

It has been commonly used for years. These rifles, out of Egypt, were imported into the USA before any of us here had much or any informationy about the various Warsaw Pact and camp followers use of German WWII and other codes for identification of the the manufacturers of various arms. Since about the only print on the rifles is the “she” code and the serial number and proof marks, as I recall, they were commonly referred to as Czech “She” Rifles. In my view, considering oft-needed vocal or written descriptions due to hobby conversations and firearms sales documents, it was a perfectly legitimate thing to call them. Few shooters even knew the vz. 52 was a Model number then, although that was learned much quicker than was the identity, or even use of, the “she” code.

John Moss

She, Aym, Bnz, rid, etc are Czechoslovak three letter codes, based on a three column, Caeser shift cypher, initially starting with
“Tgf” ( Tschekisches Gewehr Fabrik)…German for Czech Rifle Factory ( 1948) on East German (DDR) order for Vz98 rifles and ZB Mod.1 22RF trainers. When the CSSR went fully Warsaw Pact in 1952, they developed the three letter Ordnance code, starting from"tgf" ie, “she”, “rid”
…aym, bxn, czo, etc.
Note that each letter column is shifted by one; up or down…
Typical Julius Caeser cypher.

Doc AV

1 Like

John;
I didn’t mean to imply this “She” nickname is “wrong” in any way, just that it was new for me. I do have a group of American friends who are all gun/cartridge collectors/hobbyists so I would say I am more exposed to US “gun culture” than the average Scandinavian. :wink:

Doc AV;
Alex will correct me if I am wrong, but I am fairly sure that this would be
“Tschechische Gewehrfabrik”
instead of
“Tschekisches Gewehr Fabrik”
and to add to it - I am even more fairly sure that tgf has no real meaning and is instead a “backronym”.

Ole

1 Like

Ole, I am not much into guns but as for spelling you are perfectly fine.

2 Likes